Sunday, December 1, 2013

Turkey, Turkey and more Turkey

Happy late Thanksgiving cyberworld!  I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I certainly have had a great one.  It was not spent with my blood family, but it was spent with non-blood family.  I had a total of 5 meals with turkey this Thanksgiving season.  The first was last Saturday at a student-athlete of mine's house.  The second was Thursday at school; following that was an evening dinner at a new friend's home.  Friday evening there was another dinner at a friend's house with a bunch of the newbies from WAB.  Today, I was at my last dinner with some other friends from WAB.  All were delicious meals and greatly appreciated-however, I think I have had enough turkey to last a good while.  

In the spirit of the season, I have done a little post-thanksgiving shopping.  Over the past two days I have been to this place called Ya Show to get some winter clothes.  Ya Show is the market where you have to haggle to get a good price.  Yesterday I purchased a North Face Jacket, the Summit Series, 900 jacket for less than $75.  On the website, it shows that it retails for $299.  I don't think it was a bad deal.  I also purchased a cashmere scarf that looks like a a Burberry scarf, but done in black, white and red (go foxes!) for just under $10.  Today I went back and got a pair of Prada leather driving gloves for less than $10 and 3 Polo light weight sweaters for just at $50.  I also purchased a couple small Chinese nick-nacks for the folks I will be staying with while in New Zealand.  I am so excited to finally have some proper winter gear.  I could have gotten everything cheaper, I know, but I am still learning just how to not offend so that the sellers don't just shut me down.  One day, I will take a photo wearing some of the clothes so that everyone can see that some of the quality is actually pretty good.  

Now for a quick story from this past week.  I was covering recess duty while I was subbing and I noticed a kid away from the other kids.  For the entire recess I noted that he was alone with his head down or watching the other kids playing.  I decided to go over and talk to the kid.  I asked him if everything was alright and he just nodded his head.  I asked if he was sure, and I noticed his eyes start to well up.  As I kneeled down to get on his level he just started crying and I asked what was going on.  He then said that he just didn't like being called names.  My heart broke.  I asked what was he called and he said "Dennis the menace," and a couple other ones, but I can't remember what they were.  I asked him if he knew who Dennis the Menace was and he shook his head.  I explained who DTM was but it wasn't really any consolation to him.  So I asked who said this; and that I wouldn't do anything to make a scene but that I just wanted to know to keep an eye on him.  He wouldn't say, because he said they were friends.  I said that if he called you names that you didn't like that he just had to stand up to him and say that he had to stop and if he didn't stop, I told the little boy that he wasn't a very good friend.  Knowing that there were plenty of other kids at the school and that he should look to playing with other friends that don't make fun of you.  As we talked the tears kept rolling-I reached into my jacket pocket and found some tissue.  (At that moment, I felt like a older more mature woman, the one who always has a kleenex or tissue at any moment.) The bell then rang and he was off.    I will follow-up with his teacher just to let them know to look out for him.  Like I said, my heart just broke out there on that field as the little third grader spilt his heart and cried there.  

On a lighter note-only 2.5 weeks until I head off to New Zealand!  I can't believe that in less than 20 days, I get to live out another dream!  I do hate that I will not get to be with my family, but I am super excited to be able to live out another dream.  I am also super excited to travel with Jenny!  She and I have done Las Vegas together and it was a great time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment