Sunday, November 24, 2013

A few more of my favorite things…



So today was the first Sunday I have had off since NFL-China Started (with the exception of the one for National Holiday).  What did I do today?  This question brings me to the title of todays post, "A few more of my favorite things."

The first of the few is sleeping late.  Since I had no where pressing to be, I slept in-and boy did it feel ever-so-good! By sleeping late, I mean I didn't wake up until around 10 but I didn't get out of bed until after 11.  When I finally got up and going, I started cleaning my room.  See last week I couldn't take it any longer, so I told  my roommates we had to have a "family" cleaning day.  (Meaning, I wasn't going to be the only one cleaning!)  So I awoke and started cleaning my room because the other roommates were up and about yet.  After about 15-20 mins one of the other roommates arose and started helping.  Shortly after, the other was in the mix as well.  After a good hour and half/45 mins we had cleaned pretty much the whole apartment.  Item number two on today's list:  a clean apartment!

During the cleaning, I bit of my mother got into me…I haven't liked how our living room was set up so I began moving things.  Bless my mom, she is constantly moving furniture in the house, or the heaviest darn benches out in the yard.  Oh, and when she decides to move them, it usually isn't just a couple feet away, it is either upstairs from downstairs (or visa-versa) or from one side of the yard to the other.  So while the mops and vacuums were out, I took it upon myself to move the fridge, couch, tv stand and a chair.  It opened up the room tremendously.  I hesitantly write this, but item number 3 today:  a newly rearranged room.  (Now mom will have me moving everything when I get back!)

After we finished I went out to visit a friend who was hurt and has been cooped up in their place for about 2-3 weeks.  I took some lunch over and we ate and talked.  Number 4 for today:  friends-ALL my friends.  Coming home from my friends place (and going) I started listening to Christmas music.  Last night I had my first (for this year) Thanksgiving dinner with the family and friends of a student-athlete that I took care of this year.  After Thanksgiving, comes Christmas-and in a place like China, I'm not sure how much it is celebrated; so I decided to start celebrating myself with listening to my Christmas playlist.  Item #5:  Christmas music.

Once I got to the area of my apartment I decided I was a little hungry, so I decided to have some noodles from a great little "whole-in-the-wall" place that we eat at all the time.  I have had these noodles many times (and Charlie, one roommate has the fried rice like every night) but I have never really watched them make them.  Tonight I ordered as I usually do and I watched as the man began to make my noodles.  He didn't grab a pile of noodles and through them into water; no, he started kneading some dough, then cut about a 3-4 inch wad of dough from the big dough ball.  I watched as he stretched the dough and each time he stretched the dough he would somehow make more and more noodle strands.  When he achieved the desired amount of noodles he through them into the pot of boiling water for literally a minute and a half.  (The stretching of the noodles only took about 2 minutes total) He scooped the noodles out and put them in a bag with some of the beef broth/stock and I was on my way home with the freshest noodles you could have.  Now, I LOVE these noodles-and this was even before today, but now I love them even more, knowing that they are made when I order them.  

So there you have it…just a few more of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment