Thursday, November 21, 2013

Finally, the NFL Finals...



So I finally have a bit of time to sit down and provide a few updates.  First off, let me say thanks to those of you who keep telling me that you enjoy reading what I have to say and that you look forward to what I post (here or on Facebook).  

So, for what has happened lately…NFL-China is finally over!!!  I can't begin to express how happy I am that it is over.  (For those of you who stated that I looked happy in the photos from Hong Kong, now you know why!)  My last day was Sunday, November 17.  For the final game, I was asked to come down to Guangzhou and help cover the event.  This was also where I got to meet Joe Montana.  Completely down-to-earth, Joe was.  After he did the mandatory signing of autographs (of which I did get a football signed) and the small "how to through a football" session, and the obligatory interviews-Joe came onto the field and hung out with the Athletic Trainers.  Here we talked about a few different things.  He showed us this new app for the iPhone called "front/back" which is a photo app that takes a photo of what you are looking at, as well as you looking at it…(or something like that)  He showed us a few photos he had taken while he had been in China.  We then talked a little about different burgers, because he had not eaten and the "handlers" brought him over 3 burgers to eat.  (He only ate 2!)  I then had to go to work and help the injured.  


Chandler cheesing...
Joe talking to the QB's
Me getting my ball signed

While I was at the NFL-China finals I was a little shocked at something.  (Some of you will not find this unusual, but I actually did.)  While I went to take care of one of the injured athletes, I was running across the field, and all of a sudden I hear "JOSH!!!" coming from a crowd in the stands.  I look over and saw a group of college kids from Beijing waving at me.  Now being back in the states and seeing someone you know is nice, but it is so much better being in a completely different country and having someone yell at you from across the field.  It reminded me of being in NYC my freshman year in college and walking down Broadway Street, and hearing "Josh Euten, what are you doing in New York City?"  I turned around, as did the group I was with only to find Mrs. Hines, my twelfth grade Business Law teacher with another teacher from my high school.  I earned so many "cool points" when that happened…My friends asked "Gosh, Josh-do you know EVERYbody?"  Anyway, it was a good feeling having my colleagues ask the same thing, "Josh, is there anyone you don't know?"
She was captivating! 
Now before going to Guangzhou I was covering APAC Dance festival.  This was an event where all the APAC teams (our high school conference) got together at WAB worked together and participated in different workshops.  We had different dancers/choreographers come in and teach the kids.  Before the festival started, we had a couple Mongolian Throat singers and a dancer perform.  This dancer was special, she had a tragic accident when she was younger and lost her arm from the shoulder.  Her performance was nothing short of amazing!  It was actually emotional watching her dance-I completely understood her story; she was truly an artist!

Now, for one of the coolest things…what did I do on Monday-I spent the day in Hong Kong!  (Sorry for the 5th/6th grade slang) It totally rocks to be able to say that!  That is the cool thing about this international living.  One day I am in Beijing (a desert climate), the next Guangzhou (a tropical climate) and Hong Kong (coastal climate) the following day.  If you have never been to Hong Kong, picture China or the typical Chinatown in any major city and that is Hong Kong.  I was shocked at how western it was.  One of the things that I have said while I have lived here in Beijing is that I keep turning a corner expecting to see english on the next street, something more like home-well that just hasn't happened…not until I got to Hong Kong.  I will admit, this was the first time that I actually did miss home…it was so familiar that I did actually miss home somewhat.  
Looking out over The Peak..
Katie and I with Hong Kong Is.  in the background













So, three weeks left and this first semester in Beijing is over!  I can't believe just under 4 months have gone by since I left Hartsville, South Carolina.  Time has flown by.  I anticipate the next couple months to be faster than ever.  Plans for New Zealand are starting to firm up, as are the plans for Cambodia for Chinese New Year.  

Stay tuned for more updates…I hope to be better about keeping this updated… :)

No comments:

Post a Comment