Friday, November 15, 2013

I am back....but I have some catching up to do....Here is what I was going to post on Oct. 30...

October 30, 2013

Wow!  What a busy time of year!  I thought that taking a job internationally wouldn't be the exact same as working back in the states…but I guess Athletic Training is Athletic Training anywhere in the world.  Back home, October seems to be one of the most busy months for ATCs (at least in the jobs I have had!)  I can remember working daily (including Saturday and Sundays) from September all the way to the start of November and basketball season; yes-no days off!  I thought for sure that would change when I took this job.  I was not correct in my assumption.  

Now the difference is I choose to work as much as I do.  Let me explain this…I do NOT choose to work daily as that is just "par for the course" in the life of an ATC.  However, I do choose to work the amount of time that I work.  Technically with this job I could just work from 2(ish) in the afternoon to 6-7 during the week and practices on Saturday, with NFL-China (an all day event) on Sundays.  While this schedule does sound nice, I tend to like making more money than I do with just this job (as well as I get bored sitting around the house waiting for 2 to come)-so I decided to be a substitute teacher for our school (actually this was part of the contract between the two companies I work for).  I guess I am a good sub, because I am booked for a week or two in advance.  One thing that helps is that I am willing to sub for any grade level and any subject.  I have found this to be quiet lucrative…but it means I work ALL DAY LONG.  In order to play hard, I guess I have to work hard.  

I didn't think that I would like subbing, but I actually do look forward to most of the assignments that I get.  By now, I have subbed every grade and I have actually subbed for almost every kid in the school.  It is really awesome to walk the halls of the school and see the little kids look up and say "Hey Mr. J!" or "Hey Mr. Josh!"  It is an even better feeling when a teacher stops me in the hallway and asks me if I am free a certain day because they want to request me; or when a student comes up to me and says "Why aren't you our sub today, we like you!"  For someone who doesn't really want kids, I guess I do have a soft spot for them.  However, I am not that easy sub that lets everything pass…In fact this week I have a whole week in one class, a grade 5 class.  There are a couple kids in the class that are testing their limits.  Today I had pull the old saying "You have ONE more time!"  Luckily, they didn't test that threat.  However, I do have a special guest coming in the class in the morning just to make her presence known-the Assistant Principle-I am hoping this will nip the issues on the spot.  I was close to putting some kids in the hallway today…we all made it through the day!

So, as I said, I am covering for one class this week-this is because the teacher has pneumonia and is out for at least a week.  I was a little nervous about this as I actually have to teach, rather than just babysit.  But it has been pretty cool-we have been learning about energy, the scientific method and division techniques.  While I was going over division, I used a cookie cake as an example (not a real one, but pretend) and I started craving chocolate chip cookies.  So I decided I would be an awesome sub and I just ordered a cookie cake from Mrs. Fields so that we can "practice division" on Friday.  Yep, I am taking one for the team…I am going to eat a piece in the name of education!  (LOL)  I have told the class today that if they are good the rest of the week, then I would surprise them with something on Friday; I didn't tell them what, just said something…

Today, we made a video for the teacher wishing him well.  I hope he likes it.  I am by no means a good video editor, but I did enjoy taking the time doing this…and when I mentioned to the kids that we should send him a video, they all erupted in excitement.  So after all their work was done, we took about 5 minutes to film, and I used a planning period to edit a little…and this is what we came up with…

http://media.wab.edu/media/11481/MR._M/

I am sure he will enjoy it!

Now for a quick update on the past few weeks:
The weather has changed to Autumn…(it is really cool to actually see and feel a change in seasons!)  Frosted this morning for the first time!
Only one more week of NFL-China in Beijing…In 3 weekends I go to Guangzhou for the China finals of NFL China…There I will meet Joe Montana!!
Two weekends ago, I met these folks….




This past weekend, Beijing had their first tackle football game of the year…

Last week WAB hosted the APAC Volleyball tournament and I met coaches and students from all over Asia (WAB didn't win!)
Rugby ended last weekend as well!  
Went to see the Red Hot Chili Pipers (Yes, Pipers-as in Bag Pipes!)  They ROCKED!!
Got asked and hired to work with the Arena Football league in two weeks when they come to Beijing!
Matt and Abby announced that I get to be Uncle, again!  
Booked the car and the ferry tickets for "Josh and Jenny's Awesome New Zealand Adventure!!!!" 
I think that about covers it!  I have to throw a "shout-out" to Mr. Ken Hughes for keeping me accountable.  I am sorry it has been 3 weeks, but thanks for reminding me that folks do actually read this stuff!!

One last "shout-out,"  Ella, I love you dearly!  I hope you had a beautiful birthday, and I am so sorry that I was not able to celebrate it in Alabama, but I did celebrate it for you here in Beijing!  I love you and miss you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment