Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Officially-Official...



Well, today was interesting-to say the least.  Since being here in Beijing, I have been waking up around 6:30 or 7 every morning.  Today, was no exception.  So, I got up- took a shower and headed into the office after surfing the web a little.  That was about where "normal" quit happening.  Since I got here, we have been trying to get everything taken care of so that I would not have to worry about anything else and could focus on getting Athletic Training set up at WAB.  This means, getting me a school computer, phone, ID, bank account and registering with the police.  Yes, you read correct-foriengers who come to China for any period of time, must register with the police at the local precinct.  I'm really not sure why, but hey, I was told on the plane that I had to, so I did.  Now I got the computer finally taken care of, the ID was done the first day, bank account is being set up as I type.  The registering is a little more difficult.  In order to do this, one must have a letter from the place of residence stating that one will be living there for the duration of stay.  Sounds simple....NOT...because I am not leasing this apartment, I have to have the owner say I am living there, this took two days to get.  Finally I got the proper paperwork after going to the community office, then back to our HR office then back to the community office.  Once all the information was received, and the letter was written, we proceeded to the police station.  When presenting my passport, visa and letter, the attendant posed a question to my translator.  (By the way, did I mention that registration must be done within 24 hours of arrival to China?) "He came in on Saturday, why is he coming here just now?"  After dancing around a bit, we found out that we still needed more information to register.  Of course the same information that the community housing needed, the police station needed...however the community housing kept all the copies we had.  Here I am stuck in a Chinese police station, being scolded for not having all the proper information, as well as doing all this stuff late, mind you this is all done in Chinese too...so of course I'm lost!  Our driver had to go back to the school to get the information.  When he returned, we had everything that was needed.  Now, it looked like things were getting better....but wait, the attendant handed this booklet to my translator and began speaking to her....I saw my friends face get solemn, and she turned and looked at me and said very seriously "They are issuing you a warning for not getting this done within 24 hours.  Um, this is kinda serious!"  I know have to sign something, that I have no idea what it says because it is in Chinese...but I'm in the Police office, I can't say no...The lady handed me the registration and we were off....I was told I would not be fined, but that I was now in the system. After discussing this with some of the folks back at the school, my anticipation was put at ease.  It is just formality and the system here.  I will be sure to register now within 24 hours, because I don't want to know what happens after a warning.  This is why I say that I am "Officially-official"  now... I'm apart of the penal system now... LOL  (Not really laughing, but hey, what else can I do!)

Now all of this happened in the afternoon just after lunch.  Lunch is another story.  Jenny (who I have referred to as the translator and friend so far) and Angel took me to a Korean shop for lunch.  On the way, I noticed an outlet mall (SCORE! only a 5 minute bike ride from my apartment.).  This mall is very similar to a Tanger outlet back in the states.  Anyway, we are in the shop and I am looking at the menu.  Menus in China, I have found are based on pictures as well as Chinese.  While it is a great thing, because I like to know what I am getting before I order, the meal I decided on based on looks shocked my two lunch companions.  When I pointed to what I wanted both practically screamed "No, no, no...Not that!!!"  I said "Why not? Is it not good?"  "That is doggie!" Jenny replied.  Needless to say, I opted for a beef and rice meal; which wasn't bad.  It actually reminded me of a fajita but with rice instead of tortilla; mom and dad would have liked it-as dad would say "its something different."  From now on, I know to ask what meat something is before I order; lesson learned!



Now, about the lunch-I'm not above eating dog, I just don't know if I was ready today to have it.  And when the locals say not to eat it there, I think I will take their recomendation!

Everyday is a new experience here...What will tomorrow bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment