Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Olympic Park

Today I woke up early...I have decided on the days that I am not substitute teaching or meeting in the mornings, I am going to get on a bus or subway and experience a different part of Beijing.  On Sunday while I was riding to NFL China, I was looking out the window of the taxi and we passed an unusual building.  At that moment, I realized it was the Bird's Nest and the Cube from the 2008 Beijing Olympics.  So today while I had nothing else going on, I decided to take a closer look.  I woke up at 8 am and headed down to the subway station at 9.  After an hour and 15 minutes navigating the subway system, I made it!  

For me, my ultimate goal as an Athletic Trainer is to work an Olympic Games.  So to be able to see one of the most iconic venues in modern Olympic History is a pretty neat experience.  I was able to see all the different venues of the park as well as climb the hill that overlooks the whole Olympic Park; which is also the central axis point of the Beijing.  After a rainy day of tromping around the park, I headed home and in to work.

Today was able to sub for an English class.  I also booked Thursday and Friday for subbing. This is great news as I need all the subbing I can get so that I can travel to New Zealand and beyond for Christmas break.  Here are a couple pictures I took today, I will go back when it is clearer to get a few more photos. 

A view of the Bird's Nest from the Park
Rigth Beside the Nest
Just a close-up of the structure
The Cube-Aquatics Center
Underconstruction...When finished, from the sky you will see the Olympic Rings
 
The TV Tower
 Typical Chinese gate and Pavilion at the end of the park



One quick note...I really appreciate my truck so much more now.  I would love to have my truck here, as this site is no more than 5 miles from my apartment, but it took an hour and 15 minutes by subway to get there.  Had I taken the bus, it would have been at least 2 hours.  But that is just one of the conveniences that I have come to appreciate about home, but am living with out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment