Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sorry for the delay...

Once again, sorry for not posting earlier, this past couple weeks have been a whirlwind of things.  All last week I was preparing for the big WABX to the Max, this is our fall tournament for boys and girls rugby, tennis, and volleyball and a Jazz festival.  We had roughly 10-15 different teams on our campus and I was in charge of the medical coverage for the entire tournament.  To make matters even more interesting, NFL China decided to move their competition day from Sunday to Saturday.  So we had to bring up reinforcement from Shanghai to help with the tournament and on Saturday, to help with NFL China.  IWS decided to bring up Gina another IWS ATC.  This was the first time I have actually met Gina, but we hit it off like old friends.  

Before getting to the tournament; on last Thursday we had a day off due to the Mid-Autumn Holiday or another term used is the Moon Holiday.  For this day off, one of the other interns, Nate and I decided to visit the Summer Palace.  This is the place where the old emperors would go during the summer.  It was massive!  We spent about 5-6 hours there and we saw maybe half of the estate.  The other thing about the day was it was a little hazy so the photos didn't turn out the way I would have liked; however, here are a couple.


This is Nate





Now, the tournament on Friday went on, with no casualties; a few scrapes and bruises, but nothing really major.  Saturday was a little more interesting.  During the final girl's rugby match, one girl got hit and fell to the ground.  When she hit the ground her head bounced and hit twice, and then a girl came in and seemed to accidentally hit the girl in the head again.  The young girl had now hit her head three times and immediately went into a seizure.  This was the first time I had ever seen a concussion cause a seizure.  I ran onto the field and just held the young lady as she seized so that she wouldn't hurt herself.  Her father some how got to field and was yelling to find out what was happening.  I casually asked him if his daughter had a history of epilepsy and he said "No, what is happening?"  I stated to him that she was having a seizure and that she would come out of it in just a bit.  He immediately grabbed her and spoke "Baby, I am here!  You are going to be okay, please wake up."  At this, she immediately stopped her seizure.  I told the father that she would be dazed and act strangely and that it was completely normal, just to keep calm and comfort his daughter.  I then asked what his daughter's name was and she immediately turned her head and spoke her name in a very matter-of-fact manner wrapped in joy.  It was the oddest situation that I have ever been in.  After about 3-4 minutes, she was very responsive and moving about with no signs of any issue what-so-ever, but I still insisted she go to the hospital.  On Wednesday of this week, I talked to the young lady and the testing all came back normal and she was diagnosed with a "convulsive concussion."  I've never heard that term, but I am in China!  That pretty much wrapped up the tournament.  (Though there was another injury, one of our guys broke his clavicle.) 

On Sunday and Monday, Gina and I decided to tour Beijing.  On Sunday we visited the Forbidden City and a park just beyond their.  The Forbidden City was huge.  I will say that the gardens inside were worth seeing, but other than that, not much but a bunch of old buildings.  The park behind had a great view of the Forbidden City and just beyond.  Here are a couple photos from both.
This is Gina as we are walking in...









On Monday, we got up and it was rainy, but we still decided to go to the Temple of Heaven and the Lama Temple.  The Temple of Heaven was a huge park with different temples in it.  This site was where the Emperor had to go every year to sacrifice so that it would be a bountiful year for the crops.  After spending an hour and a half there we were off to the Lama Temple.  

The Lama Temple is a working Tibetan temple in the middle of Beijing.  To date, this is probably my favorite site I have visited.  The beauty of this place was beyond words.  This temple was filled with Budha's and burning incense.  Monks roamed the grounds as visitors paid homage to the different temples housing the many different Budha's .  One building housed the world's tallest golden Budha.  It stood some 3-stories high and you could hardly see the face.  Unfortunately, due to the weather, I did not get many photos, but please be sure I will be visiting again with camera in hand.  

This next week is the Golden Holiday and we have the entire week off.  I haven't planned anything as of yet to do, but I will be seeing a few sites here and possibly even visiting a couple other cities around.  Stay tuned…And as usual, thanks so much for following me in my journeys!!!

PS-It's official, I am going to New Zealand from December 17-January 5!  I can't wait!  Jenny and I will have a blast, I know it!  (Now to make enough money so that we can enjoy it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment