Saturday, August 3, 2013

Cold Showers, Sardines, Duck and Proof

So the past few days have been a "get to know each other" type of days.  Yesterday there was a new staff dinner, and a few other things going on...nothing really to "write home about."  Today, the new staff went downtown to get phones, see Tianenman Square and have dinner.

So today, I did go into the office to work on my boss's knee, as he had surgery before the summer holidays.  After working with him for about 45 minutes, it was time for me to meet up with the rest of the new staff.  Because I live away from everyone else, and close to the school, we have to be creative when trying to get me with the group.  This morning I had a driver take me to a meeting place.  Granted , I did miss the brunch, but Hunter was kind enough to bring some nibbles for me and another couple that aren't staying with the other newbies as well.  While waiting for the big group to get there, I found a Dominoes Pizza, Baskin Robbins, Mrs. Fields and of course Starbucks.  I also found this great little frame shop that sales some really interesting art. Anyway, after the big group got there and had their photos taken, we were off to the city.

Our first stop was Indigo Mall.  OOPS!!! Probably shouldn't have seen that place.  This mall was 4 floors, and was MASSIVE and had so many great shops.  I will be making my way back down that way again.  (Details later!)  But, we were only allowed like 35 minutes in the mall...I know, right?  Only 35 minutes in a 4 story mall?  But were were just there to hit the market and the electronics shop on the bottom floor.  After, leaving the mall, we were headed to Tiananman Square.

If you remember from an earlier post, I stated that this was the entrance to the Forbidden City, as well as the square is where the Congress is, as well as this is where Chairman Mao is entombed in a glass tomb.  We just basically walked up to the entrance to the Forbidden City, took some photos, and left.  Here is where the proof comes in...

I was actually there!  I am actually in Beijing!  (This is also proof to me that it is once again DIET time!  But the rice and noodles here are sooooooo good!) 

Upon leaving the square, we headed to a restaurant to have Beijing Duck.  (You know it as Peking Duck, but we are in Beijing, therefore it is Beijing!)  Delicious meal once again tonight!  By the way, I love the way the Chinese eat!  Lots of dishes on a lazy susan and you eat family style.  Everyone tries everything.  With this come double dipping.  While we are not keen on this in the states, it is actually expected here.  You use your chopsticks to eat and to grab your food with, and people don't mind here. That was a little unusual at first, but it is the culture here, and I am a visitor so I observe their traditions and culture.  I have to say, all the food so far has been delicious; except the mu'er.  I was expecting to have a hard time with the cuisine, but fortunately so far things are good!

  
Now, as I stated earlier, I don't live with the other new folks.  I have to get creative on getting to my apartment...tonight that meant public transportation.  I rode the bus (988) tonight for the first time-and did it alone.  You know all those pictures of buses being packed like sardines, well those were taken in Beijing.  Literally people are on top of people in these buses.  This one was no different.  I was a little scared at first, but I realized I am a smart guy, I can get back if something goes wrong.  Luckily, things were fine.  Our "tour guide" told me which bus to get on as well as how many stops to wait.  I found out that the mall I spoke of earlier is 11 stops from my stop!  Best of all, it is only .80 yuan.  That is roughly like ten cents in America!  Much better than a taxi (though they are cheap as well).  At less than one yuan, I will be out and about now.  Especially since I have conquered my first trip.  (Tomorrow, I have to do this again, but backwards!)  


Cold showers?  Well, it is HOT here.  Actually it is very similar to back home.  Hot and humid!  I sweat profusely daily.  While I am usually a huge fan of a hot shower, I have found that a cold shower here is so very comforting and relaxing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment