Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Food, Maylasia, and Red Foxes!

So today was just a normal day.  Nothing really to report on.  Our middle school activities started up today, so the field after school was teaming with kids.  Luckily everyone came out unscathed.  After work a colleague, Caleb, and his wife and I went for dinner.  I had said in the office earlier that I was wanting Chinese food.  Go figure, I was craving Chinese food in China!  I know that sounds weird, but it is really easy to eat western foods or even easier to get stuck eating the same thing over and over again.  Why is that?  Well, if you are an adventuresome eater you can try ANYTHING here.  Just go to a place and point to anything on the menu.  While I will try (just about) anything at least once, I like to know what I have ordered before ordering it.  This is a problem when you can't read Chinese or speak it.  So, needless to say, I get adventuresome when I go out with other people because they can tell me what things are.  My diet so far here has been fried rice (better here than in the states), beefy noodles, cereal, pizza, burgers and a sandwich of some sorts; so see not too far from normal western food.  Tonight I was wanting some good Chinese food.  Caleb and his wife and I went to a restaurant called the Corner Kitchen.  It was a very clean place and the menu was in Chinese....AND English!  The food was okay, prices were okay as well.  We had black pepper beef, 1,2,3 spareribs (sweet), Thai fried rice, and of course, probably my favorite dish here in China, sautéed wax beans.  That is an odd comment for me to make...I hate sautéed veggies back home, but something about these are just amazing.  While this restaurant were the best i've had, they were pretty good.  I'm not really sure if they are sautéed or grilled, but I just know that they are delicious.  They use this spice on them that if you are not careful and you eat one of the spice pods, whatever it touches actually goes numb!  I like to think I can handle some spice-tonight I accidentally got one of the little pods in my mouth, and within 20-30 seconds my eyes were watering and I was sweating profusely-but I kept eating.  I actually do enjoy the cuisine here quiet a bit.  

On another note-I mentioned in an earlier post about the possibility of going to Kuala Lumpur; today it is confirmed that I will be going there on September 9-11.  Yeah, it will be a really short visit, but I am so excited to be going to Maylasia.  More than just that, I will be meeting a physician who created a new and up-and-coming surgery that will be used worldwide in the next few years.  This surgery was just approved by the FDA in the USA this year.  In my field, this is a big deal.  I am so excited to have this experience. 

Now for a "shout-out" for my alma mater, Hartsville High school is raising money for a much needed field house at the football and baseball fields.  Check out the video for more information, and if you can  and would, help by donating for the cause!  As always once a Red Fox, always a Red Fox!

No comments:

Post a Comment