Sunday, August 11, 2013

Just another normal Sunday...and Sweet Tea!

NOT!!!!

Nothing at all like an average, normal Sunday.  First off, I awoke to what sounded like a gunshot outside...nope major storm!  Everyone knew it would storm today, but we were not expecting that.  It literally sounded like the lightning hit my building, that's how loud it was.  No worries though, I am okay!  I ended up getting back to sleep for a while longer.  Finally it was time to get up and break into the day, at 11:30 am!  It was nice sleeping in! 

At 12:30 I had to meet a friend and at 1:15 my friend, roommate and some colleagues from the school (who graciously drove us) headed out to the Mastercard Center for the Cirque Du Soleil Michael Jackson The Immortal show.  As you can remember from my last post, I somehow managed to score some tickets.  The show was AMAZING!  Some of you may not like MJ, but you can NOT say he wasn't an amazing artist!  His music transcends time, his dance moves ignites people all over the world, even still today!  This show was a true tribute to MJ.  It was touching at times, harsh at times, funny and just plain awesome!  As I have said many times to many people, the performers at Cirque are astounding!  The physicality that they possess is some, if not THE best in the world.  With all this being said, this was a much different show than any other Cirque show I have seen.  This show is much more heavy on dance, where I find the other shows to be much more aerialists, acrobatics and more circus/trapeze type performances.  But I do not at all want anyone to think this was any less athletic!  I have danced before (plenty of weddings, and if you don't believe me Aunt Diane has the videos or the pictures!) so what they were doing is every bit as athletic as any other sport I have ever seen!  Truly amazing.  Okay, so enough praise-but if you ever get the opportunity to see a Cirque Du Soleil show, DO NOT PASS IT UP!!!



The show was over...but we were not done there.  My friends and I were actually able to go backstage to see the stage setup, props, costumes and even some of the performers.  Being that I am an ATC and I was talking to their ATC, I got to see his set up, the Athletic Training Room as well as meet the Physiotherapist that tours with the group as well.  It is so interesting to see how other professionals in my field do their job.  As a wise woman once told me "There is more than one way to skin a cat!" (Thanks Mrs. G.)  It seems as though they have a pretty tight ship and it seems to work!  After talking to the staff there, we had to leave.  But on the way out of the arena, we were walking through the main level and we passed a picture of a basketball player on the wall.  As I looked at the picture, I knew the guy looked familiar but just didn't place him immediately.  It finally hit me who it was, and I yelled "Y'all!" and pointed to the picture.  The others just looked and one of the guys that was with me said "No, that not Yao!"  I then said "Not Yao, that is Shaan! And I said 'Y'all,' Steve!"  Everyone then said "Ah, it is him!"  So Shaan is one of the coaches at my school.  Everyone in the group knows him, but it was just neat to see him "immortalized" on the wall of this major venue!  So we had to take a picture with his picture, and at tomorrow's staff meeting, I will rag Shaan about it!


Finally, we left the arena and where heading home and Steve asked if we wanted to eat at Home Plate. He had told me that this was a BBQ place, american BBQ and that it was pretty good.  Amy, being a kiwi had never had America BBQ and Charlie being from Washington state was basically in the same position.  So we all agreed that it would be where we ate at.  On the way there, I jokingly asked "If this is a real BBQ place, they must serve sweet tea?"  YEP!  They do!  I was so happy to hear that!  It has been 3 weeks since I have had sweet tea!  I mean the day could have ended there and still been an awesome day, but nope-it continued!  We got there and I ordered my sweet tea, and it was good!  Not as good as momma's or the Sonic, but still good!  (And man I do miss the Sonic Sweet Tea!!!) I got the pulled pork BBQ platter with fries and beans.  The beans were not good, but the fries were perfect and the BBQ was very texas, but still good.  We introduced Amy to fried Pickles and she loved them, as well as cornbread, hushpuppies and corndogs.  Dinner hit the spot!  And though I'm still not homesick, I know where I will go when I do get homesick!


So we got home and I actually got in touch with some of my colleagues in Shanghai and Guangzhou via skype/facetime and we came up with some ideas for an upcoming project.  I will speak more on that  later.  After that discussion, I reached out to the a member of the NATA International Committee via Skype and we discussed a few things professionally and personally.  I really enjoy the networking that comes with this great profession.  I have found that ATC's all over just want to network and make our profession known, understood and appreciated.  Talking to him was interesting and actually motivating; as he had some ideas that I had not had before.  He is definitely someone I look forward to building a stronger network/relationship with.  

So, there it is-just another normal Sunday, capped off with a big glass of sweet tea!  Good night, y'all!





No comments:

Post a Comment