Saturday, August 10, 2013

Vertigo...

Wow!  That is the only way to describe the past few days.  As you may notice, I have not posted for a few days.  Way too much has been going on; but that's a great thing.  

Let me start off by putting an end to the situation that I last spoke of;  I went to bed that night thinking that when I awake mom, aunt and brother will be gone and all will be back to normal.  Well not quiet the case.  Roommate was gone, but family was still there.  I went into work and called my roommate and asked what happened, and he told me that he just let them stay in his room, and he went to a hotel.  Later that day, I found out the security ended up coming over and telling the family to leave-that the apartment was property of the school and that they were not welcomed to stay there.  Needless to say, they finally went home.  Roommate is still with the girlfriend, and family is back home-so for now on the outside, things are okay there.  

Later that day, I received an email from my boss.  I really can't talk about the email, due to HIPPA and such, but after a few emails to him as well as some other parties-I was introduced to the Cirque Du Soleil Medical Director as well as the Athletic Trainer traveling with the troop here in Beijing this weekend.  Long story-short I had drinks with the ATC and some of the performers Thursday evening.  The show that is in town is The Michael Jackson "Immortal" Tour.  Well if you know me, you know I do love Michael Jackson ("cause this is Thriller!...") Anyway, I ended up with 4 tickets to the show on Sunday as well as a backstage tour after the show!  What?!?!  Word of this got around school, and the communications and alumni relations department wants to do a story on me being and ATC, but only being here for all of two weeks and already making connections.  In Chinese this is "Guan xi."  I am charged with getting photos of my with some of the performers for the article.  Four free tickets to the show, who do I give them to?  Well first off, Charlie, my new roommate gets one.  He just got here like 5 days ago and has never been out of America before and has never seen a Cirque show, so he is definitely in.  That leaves two left-since I have been here and the other new staff at the school got here, this one teacher and I have gotten close and really hit it off.  Amy, from New Zealand, is wild, crazy, fun, outgoing, sweet, caring and just a cool person.  When the new staff was organizing the possibility of going to the show, she really got excited.  I really wanted her to go, so I asked and of course she was super excited about getting to go.  That left one ticket left...we couldn't really find someone that wasn't attached to someone that could and wanted to go.  So I was talking to our "Tour guide" for the new staff orientation about having a ticket left and he jumped!  So, he is meeting us there.  I am so excited that he gets to go because this whole past 10 days, he has been touring all the new staff around Beijing, and is just a wonderful person.  He deserves this, more-so than I do, so I am happy to give it to him.  Anyway, we are off to that tomorrow!

Today...Today was AMAZING!  I can't explain the emotion that today brought.  I am reminiscent of my trip last summer to Europe.  The emotion of finally getting to do something I  have dreamed of for so long was coming true.  Today was much like that.  The new staff went to Mutianyu to go to the Great Wall.  I walked on The Great Wall of China today!  What a surreal experience to be on one of the 7 wonders of the world.  Not to sound all that sappy, but it was emotional.  I realized today just how blessed I was!  I am working at an amazing school, meeting folks from all walks of this world, seeing some amazing sites, visiting amazing places, making connections that wouldn't have been made back home, as well having a great family and wonderful friends all supporting me back home.  (You guys are awesome!  I love you all!!!)  To get up to the wall, we had to ride a chairlift to the top.  There we departed and took a group photo.  We were then left to wander the wall for about an hour and a half.  To get down you could do one of two things:  take the chairlift back down, or take the toboggan down.    What do I choose? Well of course the toboggan!  This was such a fun little ride down.  We were put in a little cart and rode down the mountain for like 10 minutes.  (These photos are on my phone and will be added as soon as I can get them off my phone and onto this computer.)  






Tonight's dinner marked the end of the new staff orientation.  I will miss being with the new folks all the time, but I will like meeting the returning staff as well.  

This past few days have been a whirlwind of emotions as well just a whirlwind...I feel like I should have Vertigo!  Once I get my computer equipped with iPhoto, pictures will be posted-I promise. (Actually was able to get a couple on here.)  Otherwise, check out my Facebook page for some that I did post today.  Thanks for your support everyone!  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment