Sunday, August 18, 2013

Wow...Three weeks..

It has been 3 weeks now, since I came to China (July 27).  I can't believe almost a month has gone by.  Everyone is right, times is flying by.  I can't believe that I am already trying to figure out my Christmas plans.  (If my parents don't hurry up and tell me what they are going to do, I will just book without them! Oh, and Jenny too!!) 

So, this week has been interesting, as usual.  Just finally getting to work, meaning seeing practices, meeting students, meeting more teachers...I really must say, a school without students is just a weird place to be.  So on Thursday when the students filled the halls and you could hear the laughter and joy to be with their friends again just filled my heart.  No, I'm not a teacher in profession, but I think that deep down there is a teacher inside of me.  (If ever you've gotten hurt around me, you will understand that statement!) So with the start of school that also means the start of sports.  Here they have different seasons than we do back in the states-as well as different sports.  There are 3-4 seasons (depending on who you ask) throughout the year.  Season one is just now getting underway.  This is the busy one!!  On Friday and Saturday we had tryouts for our season one sports.  The sports in season one are: Men and Women Rugby, Men and Women Volleyball, Men and Women Tennis, Men and Women Swimming, Men and Women Cross Country and Baseball.  (I don't think I left anyone out!) Oh, and that is just high school...I am not even discussing middle school and elementary school activities.  






Before we started school, on Tuesday the athletic department met with all the coaches to go over the handbook and for me to go over concussion protocol.  (Though back in the states concussion issues have died down a little and aren't in the spotlight as much as they were a couple years ago, the issue is a  little behind internationally.)  I must say, Martin, the AAD here has done a fantastic job without having an ATC on staff before.  Basically, I have come in and I am looking at the protocols that he has in place and I am just tweaking them to make them more appropriate to the school and to the entire athletic department, rather than just one sport.  Of course, as everyone who knows me, I have my own opinion too.  So in true "Josh" fashion, at the coaches meeting I explain the modifications. (with prior approval from the AAD)  This simply means I told them how I handle concussions and how and when a student-athlete can return from a diagnosed concussion.  My stance, as any capable physician and any other ATC should should have, is that until all symptoms are clear, they should then start a return to play protocol.  While explaining this, I did mention that even if I had a letter from a doctor stating that the student-athlete was cleared to play, if that student-athlete told me that they had symptoms-then I would not allow that student-athlete to participate.  With a bold comment like that (in other words challenging a physicians note) I elicited conversation from the coaching staff.  As bullets were fired off at me, I was shielding each one with the poise and professionalism of a CEO of a major business.  I know that sounds brazen of me, but I was proud of how I handled it.  I stood my ground and in the end, can you really fault someone who is looking out for the health and well-being of the student-athlete?  In the end, I was backed by my boss, and we all accepted that if it came to that, further discussion could ensue.  (Though, my stance should not change on that.)  I will say, for days after the coaches in the meeting that agreed 100% with what I said came up to me and state how impressed they were with how I handled myself during the meeting.  I have actually never had that happen before.  

Like I said earlier, tryouts were this past Friday and Saturday.  On Saturday when we were finished at work, I headed out to meet the new folks on an apartment tour.  I met up with them about halfway through, in time for the BBQ after.  Then I met up with some friends in the San Li Tun area.  Nothing wild and crazy, but we did check out one of the clubs.  I had forgotten how much I love the fact that the  USA does not allow smoking in public areas!  My eyes burnt!  It was so smokey and so packed, you really couldn't dance if you wanted to...It was really just a mob of people all moving in unison really.   The thing that stinks about going out here, is that if you go out and stay late, there is no public transportation available.  The subway and buses all quit at 11 pm; so you have to find a taxi.  Good luck finding one getting you to the area I live.  Each night I have been out later than 11 pm it has cost me almost twice as much to get home because I can't find a regular taxi.  Taxi's don't drive in the rain, or snow, and they can decide not to work whenever they want to.  Money is a driving force here, but I guess sometimes they just don't need it.  What you have to do is settle for a black taxi...which i wrote about in another post.  Last night's experience was much better, this guy actually could speak a little English and he was very nice.  I almost asked for his number, so that I could call him if I needed a ride again...in the end I didn't-they are everywhere, but you just have to pay a little more.  Needless to say, I won't be going out past 11 many more nights.  

Today, was very laid back.  I slept in, did laundry and then all us roommates went to the Lotte Mart (China's equivalent to Walmart, though there is a Walmart here!) to pick up some items for the apartment, and to look for a beard trimmer for me.  I brought my trimmer with me, but it has bit the dust.  I got a good 7-10 years out of it, so it was well worth it.  I was in such a need for a trim today that I just had to find one.  But alas, the Lotte Mart did not have what I needed, but we did get some other items.  When we got back to the apartment, we decided to go down and have street food BBQ-or I ended up having street BBQ and my roommates had food from one of the restaurants.  These are the places that we westerners think they cook all kinds of "mystery meat"-rat, cat, dog, donkey etc.  But, I'm here, I'm going to try it.  I mean you can't go wrong with a chicken wing, can you?  Nope, is the answer-they were delicious!  Spicy, but delicious.  I also had noodle soup and the noodles are hand made to order and are probably the best noodles I've ever eaten.  They are so tender and soft when you eat them.  I want to learn how to make them and cook some real chicken noodle soup with them!  So dinner was a hit and on the way back we passed by two barber shops, feeling like a mountain man, I decided to walk in and ask if they could trim my beard.  The guys in the shop laughed, because I don't think they have ever been asked to do that before.  But I was in a state that I needed it badly.  For money, anything can be done!  So I sat back, and let the man trim my beard since I couldn't find one myself!  Five minutes later, I looked about 10 years younger and felt so much better and cleaner.  I paid the man the equivalence of $2.25 and was on my way.  

So now, I'm just wrapping up my night here, and look forward to a new week and a new day.  The pictures to follow are some from the trip last Saturday from the Great Wall...Enjoy!

The Wall is on the top of the hills!
 A view from the Wall...

Sharon and Peter...(Just love this couple!  Mom and Dad, you'd love them too!)

 This may be printed when I get back to the states and may go on a wall at home...Maybe one of my favs!

 The group shot..

 The Trumpolds...Great family!
 Me-representing Hartsville, and the YMCA!
 Amy, one of my favorite Kiwi's in the world!!!
 And a few more of me again!



No comments:

Post a Comment